The following areas of research and innovation are being successfully developed by the Professors and Associate Professors of the Chair of "Mining":
1. Creation of mechatronic control systems for mining equipment taking into account the geoinformation model of the field (the head of the topic is Professor, Doctor of Technical Sciences, N.I. Sysoev);
2. Development of geographical information systems for forecasting the mining and geological conditions for the development of mineral deposits (the head of the topic is Associate Professor, Candidate of Technical Sciences, D.N. Shurygin);
3. Development of geographical information systems of cities to assess the reduction in the cost of buildings and constructions in the undermined territories (the head of the topic is Professor, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Yu.V. Posylniy);
4. Development of resource-saving and environmentally friendly technologies of mining (the head of the topic is Professor, Doctor of Technical Sciences, V.I. Golik);
5. Improving the efficiency and safety of mining solid mineral deposits in underground mining in difficult geological conditions (the head of the topic is Professor, Doctor of Technical Sciences, S.O. Versilov).
The student research laboratory has been founded at the department of "Mining". As a part of this program, the research work of students in the main scientific fields of the Chair under the guidance of experienced tutors is carried out.
Over the past 5 years, students of the Chair took an active part in:
- the All-Russian Youth Conference - “Minerals: structure, properties, research methods” (2012);
- the annual regional scientific and technical conference (competition of scientific and technical work) of students, graduate students and young scientists of higher educational institutions of the Rostov region - “Student Spring” (2012-2017);
- international scientific-practical conference "Modern technologies in the global scientific space" (Kazan, 2016);
- international scientific research collected vollume - Scientific Reportson Resource Issues 2016. Volume 1: Efficiency and Innovation in Geology, Mining, Processing, Economics, Safety, and Environmental Management. - Technische University Bergakademie Freiberg (Germany, 2016);
- the case-study championship of “MCC “EuroChem” (2015-2016);
- the International Engineering Championship "Case-in" to assess the knowledge of students of leading industry universities in Russia, Kazakhstan and Mongolia (2013-2016);
- in the VII open scientific and technical conference of young professionals and young workers “Knowledge. Experience. Innovations (Astrakhan, 2017).